Bienvenidos a CafeBoricua!

Bienvenidos a CafeBoricua.com,  Un foro donde se discute la Politica Boricua aparte de otros temas de actualidad e interes.  Aqui existe la mayor libertad de expresion donde pueden debatir libremente.  Registrate!

Como la mayoria de las comunidades en linea necesita registrarse para poder postear en nuestra comunidad, pero no se preocupe esto es un proceso simple que solo requiere minima informacion. Sea parte de Cafe Boricua creando una cuenta con nosotros.  Puede logearse con su cuenta de Facebook o Twitter.

• Comienze nuevos temas y responda a otros
  • Subscribirse a temas y foros y recibir actualizaciones automaticas.
  • Crea su propio perfil y haga nuevas amistades.
  • Comparta sus posteos o temas en las redes sociales.
  • Personalize su experiencia aqui.
  • Crea una encuesta!   Una gallery de fotos.  Anuncie un evento. 

Animate a participar en nuestro foro boricua!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Artaguito

Sonia Sotomayor Nominada A La Corte Suprema

117 posts in this topic

Veo que la mentalidad tribal es algo a lo que sucumben todos... La tipa es hija de boricuas, pero nacida en los EEUU. Segun se dice, no habla espanol , pero va a visitar a sus parientes a Lajas. Aqui les mando lo que le puede esperar a la Sonia con el caucus "latino"... Veremos de que lado cae "el gecko" de Luis Gutierrez...

Hispanics laud choice, but many hoped for a Mexican-American
30 commentsby Daniel González and Erin Kelly - May. 27, 2009 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic
When President Barack Obama on Tuesday nominated a Hispanic woman to serve on the U.S. Supreme Court, he not only presented conservative Republicans with a political dilemma, he also ignited a cultural debate within the nation's large and increasingly influential Latino population.

Sonia Sotomayor, a federal judge in New York, is already being scrutinized by conservative Republicans such as Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona, who voted against her confirmation in 1998 to the appellate court amid concerns that she would render decisions based on ideology rather than legal merit.

Some analysts caution that Republicans, who have already seen their support among Latinos decline sharply over the issue of immigration, risk further alienating Hispanics by opposing Sotomayor.
But even Latinos are taking a careful look at her nomination.

Sotomayor, who is of Puerto Rican descent, grew up in a New York housing project before attending Princeton University and Yale Law School.

Many Latinos are elated that Obama has nominated a Hispanic, and they relate to her story of success from humble beginnings.

But some would have preferred to see Obama nominate a Mexican-American considering that they make up 70 percent of the nation's 47 million Latinos.

"The argument could be made for (a Mexican-American nominee)," said Raul Yzaguirre, former head of the National Council of La Raza, one of the nation's largest Hispanic civil-rights organization. He is now presidential professor of community development and civil rights at Arizona State University. "I want unity, so I am more inclined to overlook those things and say, 'Let's work together.' "

Though Puerto Ricans and Mexicans share a common language, Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens and are not considered immigrants like Mexicans, said Louis DeSipio, a political-science and Chicano/Latino studies professor at the University of California-Irvine.

As a result, Sotomayor could be less sensitive to immigration issues she may face as a Supreme Court justice than if she were Mexican-American, DeSipio said.

Luz Sarmina, president and CEO of Valle del Sol, a non-profit community-based Latino organization in Phoenix, said that she was thrilled with the choice of a Hispanic but admits that she would have liked to have seen Obama nominate a Mexican-American.

"I'm thrilled having a Latina, but I also think there are many Mexican-Americans well-qualified for that role. I don't want to pit one group against the other, but I think I would have been thrilled to see a Mexican-American."

In Arizona, there are nearly 1.6 million Latinos of Mexican ancestry, compared with 28,524 of Puerto Rican ancestry, according to the census.

Nydia Stuart, 51, president of the Puerto Rican Cultural Center of Arizona, said even though Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, they were often treated like immigrants in New York, where many have settled.

"They would get the worst jobs and live in the worst neighborhoods," said Stuart, who praised Sotomayor's selection.

Kyl to look at her record

Kyl says he will take a new look at the Sotomayor's extensive record as an appellate judge before deciding whether to support her nomination.

He is one of seven Republicans on the 19-member Senate Judiciary Committee that will hold confirmation hearings.

Kyl said his concerns in 1998 focused on her judicial temperament and how she might render decisions.

"There were expressions that she had made at that time that led me to believe she would not judge cases based on their legal merits but on her preconceived ideas, which is not an appropriate basis for rendering decisions," Kyl said.

He said he will look to see whether her service as a U.S. Court of Appeals judge for the 2nd Circuit "has changed her method of judging."

Arizona's senior senator, Republican John McCain, also voted against Sotomayor's Circuit Court confirmation during the Clinton administration. She was confirmed despite opposition from conservatives.

McCain released a statement congratulating Sotomayor and saying he looked forward to examining her record.

Kyl described Sotomayor's historic nomination as "a significant milestone."

"It demonstrates the diversity of this great country of ours," he said. "She's certainly to be congratulated for her achievements. We can't decide her nomination based on her race, but I'm sure everybody is delighted to see a Latina has now been nominated for the highest court in the land."

Possible political costs

Although there may be political costs to opposing Sotomayor for senators from Arizona and other states with large Hispanic populations, Kyl said that should not be part of the calculation.

"I try to make my decisions the way I would ask a judge to make decisions, which is based on the merits of the case," he said. "It doesn't matter if the judge is a man or a woman or a member of a certain ethnic group. What matters is whether they are qualified and whether they have the right judicial temperament."

DeSipio, the political-science professor, said Sotomayor's nomination poses political risks for both Republicans and Democrats. The Hispanic vote is crucial to both parties: In 2008, Hispanic voters helped send Obama to the White House. But, in 2004, they helped President George W. Bush win re-election.

Republicans who oppose Sotomayor's nomination need to be cautious how they frame their opposition, he said. Sounding anti-Hispanic could further alienate Republicans with Latino voters already turned off by Republicans who have taken a hard line on immigration, DeSipio said.

If Republicans oppose Sotomayor, Democrats will have to be strong in their support "or they, too, risk alienation from Hispanics" by making it seem as if Sotomayor's nomination is as "tokenistic."

The National Council of La Raza called Obama's nomination of Sotomayor "a monumental day for Latinos."

"Finally, we see ourselves represented on the highest court in the land," said Janet Murguia, the group's president. "Judge Sotomayor's story personifies the American dream for so many Latinos in this country."

Pero hubiera preferido que fuese una Mexicana....

QUOTE(Inegron @ May 27 2009, 01:45 PM) [snapback]2862257[/snapback]
hahaha! la verdad que tu si que eres ridiculo . . .pero tengo que admitir que divertido . .algo asi como Cantinflas . . . hysterical.gif
De nuevo, tengo uno nacido y criado la mayor parte de su vida en PR, so, en mi opinion ese es "boricua" por ahora, porque segun pasen los años, eso definitivamente va a cambiar.

Tambien tengo otro nacido y criado aca, so ese es gringo . . . no doubt!

Claro, ahora vendras de nuevo con tus definiciones contradictorias a decirme que los dos son boricuas . .

tu me llamas ridiculo cuando tu consideras a Marc Anthony gringo?....jejeje.....Talk about the 'pot' calling the 'kettle' black!

Y no me hables de definiciones contradictorias cuando tu estas encontra del aborto pero dices que eres PRO-CHOICE....eso se llevo el bizcocho de contradicciones aqui! hysterical.gif

Mas comico de que tu tienes una hija "Boricua" y una hija "gringa" de la misma mujer no puede ser......you are killing me....jejeje...esa nena va a crecer confundida wacko.gif

CITA(lexuswestcoast @ May 27 2009, 05:03 PM) [snapback]2862286[/snapback]
tu me llamas ridiculo cuando tu consideras a Marc Anthony gringo?....jejeje.....Talk about the 'pot' calling the 'kettle' black!
Y no me hables de definiciones contradictorias cuando tu estas encontra del aborto pero dices que eres PRO-CHOICE....eso se llevo el bizcocho de contradicciones aqui! hysterical.gif

hahaha! Todavia tu tienes ese vellon pegao . . . hysterical.gif

Y todavia pensando que CHOICE significa lo mismo que ABORTO?

CITA(lexuswestcoast @ May 27 2009, 05:03 PM) [snapback]2862286[/snapback]
Mas comico de que tu tienes una hija "Boricua" y una hija "gringa" de la misma mujer no puede ser......you are killing me....jejeje...esa nena va a crecer confundida wacko.gif

Ves como te inventas pendejaces del aire? Y quien te dijo que son de la misma mujer? Edited by Inegron

tu sabes que te coji con tu contradiccion sobre el aborto y pro choice .....y estabas back pedaling y spinning......pero that's ok ....jejeje
..calm down

Ves como te inventas pendejaces del aire? Y quien te dijo que son de la misma mujer?

it takes one to know one.......puedo asumir que eres Boricua........digo al menos que seas ese chino que hablas tanto.

Inegron es PPD.......................se le nota desde el cielo.

el hombre es pro colonia....y pro USA.....

que tu crees..?????

Sotomayor va a enfrentar todo el racismo de que esta nacion de EEUU es capaz..contra los Latinos.....

Sotomayor es una mujer barava y de gran valentia..e integridad.

Su afiliacion a la raza negra es de gran VALIA...puesto la mayoria de los
boricuas...somos NEGROS>>>!!!!!!!

Es un orgullo que esta boricua llegua a ser nominada...y cuando sea nombrada
debe de ser celebrado en GRANDE en toda la isla.

CITA(lexuswestcoast @ May 27 2009, 05:18 PM) [snapback]2862291[/snapback]
tu sabes que te coji con tu contradiccion sobre el aborto y pro choice .....y estabas back pedaling y spinning......pero that's ok ....jejeje
..calm down

"Back pedaling", hehehe!! Mas gracioso que Cantinflas, no hay duda . . .
Yo estoy claro, y te lo repito: yo personalmente estoy encontra del aborto, pero soy pro-choice Animation92.gif

CITA(lexuswestcoast @ May 27 2009, 05:18 PM) [snapback]2862291[/snapback]
it takes one to know one.......puedo asumir que eres Boricua........digo al menos que seas ese chino que hablas tanto.

Ignorando la metida de pata? "Back pedaling"?

CITA(LAX @ May 27 2009, 05:22 PM) [snapback]2862292[/snapback]

Si, por eso es que dije que el ELA era lo incorrecto . . .verdad? hysterical.gif

Ay, bendito . . . parece que Lexus llamo a su equipo de contradictorios para que vinieran a defenderlo . . .

No se preocupen, ya los dejos tranquilos con sus loqueras . . . Edited by Inegron

CITA(LAX @ May 27 2009, 05:22 PM) [snapback]2862292[/snapback]

que tu crees..?????

Sotomayor va a enfrentar todo el racismo de que esta nacion de EEUU es capaz..contra los Latinos.....

Wow....la Sotomayor se va enfrentar a un grupo de vampiros republicanos que estan para comersela viva....de acuerdo a LAX.

Es la nuyorican de maravilla. La mujer maravilla....jaja.

Este grupito de gente en este foro....son un show por si solos....

Pa ti....la Sonia Sotomayor....en vivo y en directo para LAX ponte a celebrar.

Y con el lazo dorado de la VERDAD ella le contestara a Orrin Hatch y el republicanito ese racista de Alabama con todo su SER....jaja

Y hablando de racismo y de unos creerse superiores a otros, que tu pensarias si hace par de an~os durante el hearing de Samuel Alito para la Corte Suprema, este comentario de el hubiese salido a la luz publica:

"...I would hope that a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a black woman who hasn't lived that life."

Lo hubiesen corrido a pedradas del Capitolio. Por supuesto, Alito nunca dijo esa estupidez.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124338457658756731.html
"In a speech published in the Berkeley La Raza Law Journal in 2002, Judge Sotomayor offered her own interpretation of this jurisprudence. "Justice [Sandra Day] O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases," she declared. "I am . . . not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, . . . there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."

Parece que alguien por aqui lleva su raza de broche en la solapa. Edited by Artaguito

QUOTE(LAX @ May 27 2009, 04:22 PM) [snapback]2862292[/snapback]

que tu crees..?????

Otro que lleva la raza de broche en la solapa.

Los democratas no tienen el mas remoto reclamo a ser los defensores de minorias al haber salvajemente abusado de candidatos minoritarios como Miguel Estrada, Alberto Gonzalez, y Clarence Thomas. Tambien de la manera que trataron a "la negrita" Condoleeza Rice fue extremadamente bochornosa.

Acuerdense que para ellos una minoria es solo minoria bonafide si tambien es liberal y democrata. Una minoria conservadora es una amenaza constante a la politica del "class warfare" que es tan vital para ese partido, y esa aberracion a la norma tiene que ser aplastada a toda costa.

Déjame pararles el caballito antes que se monten en el. Me van a decir que mi oposicion a la jueza es por racismo o por lo mal boricua que soy, eso es tipico y no seria la primera vez que lo oigo, pero exploremos el asunto:

Diagmos que Miriam Ramirez de Ferrer era jueza y Obama la estaba considerando para el supremo, que tu pensarias? Aqui la mitad diria que si, y la otra mitad (populares y pipiolos) estarían opuestos. Serán estos unos malos boricuas y autoracistas al rechazar a la primera mujer de Puerto Rico en la Corte Suprema?

Y si fuera el ahora tuerto Carlos Romero Barcelo que Obama nominara para alguna pocision en su administracion? Romero es demócrata, porque no? No serian ustedes pipiolos unos malos boricuas si se opusieran a esa nominacion? Y que de Anibal Acevedo, salio absuelto, y era lider democrata en PR no? Que dirían los novoprogresistas de esa nominacion?

Y usando un caso verídico, que de la jueza Janice Rogers Brown, de la raza negra, que su nominacion fue detenida por dos an~os por congresistas democratas ya que ella era conservadora? Son estos congresistas unos racistas y chauvinistas por oponerse a ella?

Eran los democratas también racistas cuando se opusieron a la nominacion de Clarence Thomas, el segundo negro en la Corte Suprema que reemplazo al primero Thurgood Marshall? Edited by Artaguito

Lexus:"Did I say it was?.......................that's your opinion....many independent countries in latin america are not functioning properly, a lot worse than Puerto Rico. Can you actually tell me its because of the "GRINGOS"...............You look for the government to solve your problems and think by giving more political powers to the same pimps running the island then that's going to change things. I dont see it that way. Puerto Rico's problem is not the status, I lived there querida. Its the mentality and the MEDIOCRISY of many and the mentality that the government owns them something just because they were born."

"Can you actually tell me its because of the "GRINGOS"..."

In essense that's what the book Hugo Chavez gave to Obama talks about. 'Las Venas Abiertas de Latinoamerica' is a communist acussation against the USA for all the Latinoamerican maladies. As far as I know Obama is still reading it before he rebuffs it's message.

I'm gonna sit here and wait for Obama's rebuttal...I'm sure is coming any day now.

Todavia estoy esperando la definicion de gringos.............aqui algunos no saben que es la definicion de Boricua y estan con la charrerias y complejos como los mejicanos.

Nadie de la gente Europea llama a nadie de los Estados Unidos gringos.....nadie.......esa palabra se la inventaron los mejicanos y los wetbacks y tienes algunos boricuas repitiendo eso sin saber que carajo significa.............. doh.gif Edited by lexuswestcoast

GRINGO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gringo

The word was in use in Spain in early 19th century. Its entry in a 1817 French-Spanish dictionary, written by Antonio de Capmany,[3] includes:

.. hablar en griego, en guirigay, en gringo. (p. 28) [4] Translation: ... to speak in Greek, in "guirigay", in "gringo".
Gringo, griego: aplicase a lo que se dice o escribe sin entenderse. (p. 448) [5] Translation--Gringo, Greek : applies to what is said or written without understanding it.

According to Rawson, it appears in the Diccionario Castellano in 1787. That dictionary says that it was used in Malaga to refer to anyone who spoke Spanish badly, and in Madrid in reference to the Irish. Gringo probably comes from the Spanish griego, or Greek. So it is akin to the phrase it's Greek to me (or in Spanish hablar en griego) and the word barbarian.

Furthermore, according to the Catalan etymologist Joan Coromines, gringo is derived from griego (Spanish for "Greek"), the archetypal term for an unintelligible language (a usage found also in the Shakespearean "it was Greek to me" and its derivative "It's all Greek to me"). From referring simply to language, it was extended to people speaking foreign tongues and to their physical features — similar to the development of the ancient Greek word βάρβαρος (bárbaros), "barbarian."[6][7][8] Still, scholars are not in agreement about the correct origin of this word. Edited by Pachin

Interesting reading...........

* The Anglosphere: Latino migrants to the U.S. occasionally use the term as a more derogatory synonym of Anglo.[citation needed] however, it is also said the term may apply to anyone who lives in the U.S. regardless of race.
* In Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, and Venezuela the term applies exclusively for U.S. citizens, widely accepted as a colloquial demonym. Depending on the context, it may or may not be pejorative.
* In Central America, the word is not pejorative. In Cuba, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama the term refers to U.S. citizens (regardless of race).[1] In the Dominican Republic it also means a non-free range store bought chicken (pollo gringo), it's also a way to call the people from the United States, often derogatorily.[citation needed] In Puerto Rico, the term refers to U.S. citizens in the U.S. mainland.

* In the countries of South America where this term is used, the word is not pejorative. In some countries it may be used to refer to any foreigner who does not speak Spanish as a native language, or in Brazil, someone who does not speak Portuguese as a native language, but in other countries it is used just or especially to refer to U.S. citizens; it may also be used to describe a blond or brunette white native person with soft facial features and light colored eyes. For instance, it is a popular nickname.[1]
o In Uruguay it is used to refer to citizens of the United States in a non pejorative way.
o In Peru the word gringo is used all over the country among the white and non white population. It is used to refer to White people, particularly those with fairer features. It is not pejorative.
o In Ecuador the word gringo can be used to refer to foreigners from any country, not only the United States, though the likelihood of being described as a gringo increases the closer one's physical appearance is to that of a stereotypical northern European.
o In Argentina it was used in the past to refer to all European immigrants. In modern times the term is mostly applied to refer to anglo people, including people from the US or the UK. It can also be used to refer to small and medium farmers from the Pampas, often of European descent, that still use it as a nickname, denoting their whitish complexion

I guess we are GRINGOS after all Pachin.....hell! under all of those definitions anybody could be a gringo.

Lei no recuerdo donde que la palabra gringo venia de green-go, siendo green por el color de los uniformes del ejercito americano..

Sounds to me like puertorricans are all gringos...

El problema que tendra la Sotomayor es que se considera una jueza es una activista y que puede "hacer ley" con su mallete.

Dick Durbin no es nada comparado a Sessions a quien la turba Democrata lo tildo erroneamente de racista en vistas para una judicatura federal que se torno en una verdadera caceria de brujas. La verdad es que el "kabuki" de las vistas tomara lugar de manera esteril pues los democratas cuentan con los votos para pasar la confirmacion como aplanadora... Pero de que le van a sacar los trapitos al sol, eso es algo indudable... Empezando con la decision racista contra los bomberos blancos que fue argumentado en la Corte Suprema y que por las preguntas de los jueces la dejan mal parada.

Esa tipa, de negra tendra los lunares... Si le preguntas, te va a decir que es "blanca".

CITA(Artaguito @ May 27 2009, 10:43 PM) [snapback]2862328[/snapback]
Y hablando de racismo y de unos creerse superiores a otros, que tu pensarias si hace par de an~os durante el hearing de Samuel Alito para la Corte Suprema, este comentario de el hubiese salido a la luz publica:

"...I would hope that a wise white man with the richness of his experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a black woman who hasn't lived that life."

Lo hubiesen corrido a pedradas del Capitolio. Por supuesto, Alito nunca dijo esa estupidez.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124338457658756731.html
"In a speech published in the Berkeley La Raza Law Journal in 2002, Judge Sotomayor offered her own interpretation of this jurisprudence. "Justice [Sandra Day] O'Connor has often been cited as saying that a wise old man and wise old woman will reach the same conclusion in deciding cases," she declared. "I am . . . not so sure that I agree with the statement. First, . . . there can never be a universal definition of wise. Second, I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
Parece que alguien por aqui lleva su raza de broche en la solapa.

Es que hay racistas de un lado, pero tambien del otro . . . Tanto hablan mierda los que le quieren encontrar la quinta pata al gato en la derecha, como los que se la quieren encontrar en la izquierda.

Ese comentario para mi no tiene nada de racista, al contrario . . .

En mi opinion lo que ella dijo es que una persona educada y con experiencia va a llegar a mejores conclusiones que una persona sin educacion y experiencia, sea mujer latina o hombre blanco.

But I never heard Europeans call Americans "gringos".....not in Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy...not even in Australia......I dont know about Spain, never been there.......I heard them say Americans, Bloody Americans, damned Yankees or Yanks.

Lo escucho mucho de los mejicanos y otros latinos y algunos separistas de la isla.....so tiene que tener un origen espanol.

QUOTE(lexuswestcoast @ May 28 2009, 10:01 AM) [snapback]2862353[/snapback]
But I never heard Europeans call Americans "gringos".....not in Great Britain, France, Germany, Italy...not even in Australia......I dont know about Spain, never been there.......I heard them say Americans, Bloody Americans, damned Yankees or Yanks.
Lo escucho mucho de los mejicanos y otros latinos y algunos separistas de la isla.....so tiene que tener un origen espanol.

Pero has oido a gente en PR decir: "me estas hablando en griego, traduce muchacho!". Una de las explicaciones etimologicas es que en Espana se usaba "hablar en gringo" en el siglo 19 alternadamente a "griego". Asi que cuando los americanos llegaban "hablando en gringo que ni se les entiende", terminaron quedandose 'gringos'.

Ya hoy en dia el termino esta tan abusado que ha perdido su fuerza insultante, si en verdad ese fue su proposito.

Pero ahora que estamos en el tema de la jueza, exploremos otro termino: Gusano.

Ese termino es usado por los simpatizantes de la revolución comunista de Cuba, hoy en sus 50 an~os de amargura, para denominar a aquellos que no se conformaron a las draconicas restricciones civiles y economicas de ese regimen y se largaron a buscar mejor vida.

Estos admiradores del monarca barbudo detrás de sus laptops en cuartos con aire acondicionado insultan de "gusanos" a esos sedientos de libertad y prosperidad que tomaron las riendas de sus vidas. Así cualquiera es "revolucionario".

El termino como es usado denota traición a la patria por irse de esta por el mero hecho de buscar mejores condiciones de vida. No es eso lo que hicieron los padres de Sonia Sotomayor? Y ella, como adulta y consciente de sus raíces, porque no hizo lo justo y se mudo permanentemente a su verdadera patria?

No es ella también, de acuerdo a los energúmenos, otra gusana mas?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0