Bienvenidos a CafeBoricua!

Bienvenidos a CafeBoricua.com,  Un foro donde se discute la Politica Boricua aparte de otros temas de actualidad e interes.  Aqui existe la mayor libertad de expresion donde pueden debatir libremente.  Registrate!

Como la mayoria de las comunidades en linea necesita registrarse para poder postear en nuestra comunidad, pero no se preocupe esto es un proceso simple que solo requiere minima informacion. Sea parte de Cafe Boricua creando una cuenta con nosotros.  Puede logearse con su cuenta de Facebook o Twitter.

• Comienze nuevos temas y responda a otros
  • Subscribirse a temas y foros y recibir actualizaciones automaticas.
  • Crea su propio perfil y haga nuevas amistades.
  • Comparta sus posteos o temas en las redes sociales.
  • Personalize su experiencia aqui.
  • Crea una encuesta!   Una gallery de fotos.  Anuncie un evento. 

Animate a participar en nuestro foro boricua!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dee

Can You Believe This?

7 posts in this topic

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A baseball-sized snail
with an insatiable appetite for hundreds of plants including cocoa and papaya
has been seized and destroyed by Australian officials, who said it posed a
huge threat to local agriculture.

The animal was found creeping across a
Brisbane shipping
container
yard and identified as a giant African snail, an East African pest
capable of growing up to 30 cm (12 inches) long and one kg (2.2 lb) in
weight.

It is known to eat 500 different species of
crops, fruits, native
Australian plants
and even other giant African snails, according to an Australian government
website.

"Giant African snails are one of the
world's largest and most damaging land snails," said Paul Nixon, acting regional manager at the
Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, in a statement.

The snail can lay 1,200 eggs a year,
tolerates extreme temperatures and has few natural enemies in Australia. It also
carries parasites that can infect humans with the disease meningitis, which can
in some cases be fatal.

The last major Australian outbreak of the snail was in 1977, when 300 giant
snails were exterminated in Queensland in an intensive eight-month campaign of
community education, baiting and snail collection.

The snail was destroyed and officials inspected the container yard and found
no evidence of additional snails, eggs or snail trails. They will continue
surveillance into next week.

"Australia's strict biosecurity requirements
and responsive system has so far kept these pests out of Australia, and we want
to keep it that way," Nixon said.

You know when I was a kid the only pets I could have were snails and caterpillars as they were always in with the vegetables my grandmother bought in the open market, which later I learned that those may have been the healthiest vegetables as they didn't use insecticides back then and left these insects and nobody complained, but that was Peru early 60's.

Seeing this post Dee brought back memories and also how incredible it is to see a slug that big ( had to Google the picture), great post too bad they had to destroy it but again farming is a busines and Austraila is mostly desert so all crops are of high value.  :training:

Wow lol... I also played with caterpillars as a child.  Although I was able to have other pets as I got older, like a hamster and a parakeet.  Nevertheless,  I think i would have freaked out to actually see a snail that big.  What is very facinating is that we only know about 25% of life that lives in the ocean.  Isnt that crazy!  Imagine all of the other creatures that we have never seen before.  I remember a few years ago a huge squid was captured and it was about 9 feet if Im not mistaken... scary to even think about.. let alone to have experienced actually seeing it...

All these "different" creatures we ae seeing now may have been around forever but with all this social media it makes it availbale for people like me for example who doesn't watch TV or read newspapers...or I wonder too if all this radiation floating around the world has something to do with it...:training:

Yeah... that is so true.  And sure theres a great possibility about the radiation having something to do with the way some of these animals look or how big they get.  Just like the food that we eat today... they shoot so many differenct things into it to make it grow bigger and it has an effect on our bodies.  I remember when I was a child - the children looked their age... like a 10 year old looked like they were 10... hardly any development at all on their body.  Today the average 10 year old looks like a teenager around 16 or 17 years old.  The foods that are available to us today are not very healthy at all... Sad...

Well not to get off the original subject but yes, most meats have hormones
from injections put on the animals before they are slaughter, personally being a
carnivore and old don't worry so much about it as I should if I was younger, but
I make sure not to eat fast foods, canned or processed as those have a great
amounts of salt that will make my pressure go up among other things.... :training:

Thats good... I have a co-worker and his relative eats nothing but what he grows in his fields... this man is old and in great health.  Its sad how these food products have a such a negative effect on people.  But like u said, the best that u can do is read the ingredients and decide on eating healthier...